So when I say recent...I bought all of these in May. Yes, I know it's almost July. Yes, I could have said 'What I bought in May', but that would mean having to confirm that I did in fact by 20 books in May!
Twenty books! Who do I think I am and how much free time do I think I have?! Let's move on from the shock and delve in what I purchased. I've split these in to three categories: bookstore purchases at full price, charity shop or second hand purchases and via book subscription service.
Purchased at Full Price
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- If I Had Your Face by Fances Cha
- Firekeepers Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow
- Luster by Raven Leilani
- Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihata
Charity Shop or Second Hand Online
- You Exist Too Much by Zaina Arafat
- Fates and Furies by Lauren Geoff
- All The Ugly Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey
- A Promised Land by President Barack Obama
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Yes We (Still) Can by Dan Pfeiffer
- The World As It Is by Ben Rhodes
Voices of The Lost by Hoda Barakat via Books That Matter
Scary fact, I could have easily continued to buy more than this but I cut myself off and went on a book buying ban until I've read a few of these (I did purchase a cookbook but I've decided that doesn't count, please don't tell me otherwise!)
I was so surprised to find Michelle and Barack Obama's books in the charity shop so soon after release but I definitely was not complaining! In that same purchase I was also able to get my hands on She Said, which I've been wanting to read for a long time, as well as Eleanor Oliphant. I'm ashamed I haven't read this yet as it's set in Glasgow and I used to walk past a copy frequently in the library on the way to my office, back when we went in to the office.
Fun fact, I am a huge politics junkie and I love Pod Save America and Pod Save the World so I had to grab both Dan and Ben's books. Both worked for Obama during his Presidency (can you see a theme here...?) and I love a little look behind the curtain, which I know I'll find with both of these. They also tell the funniest stories of their time on the road during their podcast episodes and I'm hoping these little nuggets will also be popping up and giving me a chuckle.
Finally, the one I was so so happy to find and could not ignore was All The Ugly Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. For some reason I didn't pick this up when it originally came out and can I find it anywhere? No I cannot...until now! I found this via a secondhand book website and when I seen that 'One Left' note I know it was a sign and it was straight in the basket. It will likely be one that I read this summer and I truly hope it lives up to the hype.
I'm sure you've seen or heard of most of these titles and I'm excited to dive in! You'll of course be hearing my thoughts once I've gotten round to reading each of these.